Since 1993, over 7,000 people in the Burke/Fairfax and surrounding community have raised more than $545 K to help our most vulnerable neighbors, near and far. Our theme this year is “Believe there is GOOD in the World.”
As a result of the current pandemic, the needs of the hungry (here in our community and worldwide) are greater than ever and will probably increase during this health crisis! Now is the time to give more than ever!
But to accomplish that and keep ALL OF YOU safe and healthy, we are introducing…
Our 1st Virtual CROP Hunger Walk
What does that mean??
First and foremost, BE THE GOOD IN THE WORLD and do all you can to get sponsors and raise money:
• Set up your Walk page online (i.e., Register here on this page) and share via email, Facebook, etc.—make it easy for people to join your virtual team/donate to you.
Additional ideas for raising money:
• For 30 days prior to our official Walk Day, set aside $$ each day for a favorite food item (Starbucks coffee??) and donate the total online by Walk Day
• Encourage children to put an amount of change in a jar each day equal to some treat they enjoy (gum? popsicle?) and donate the collected amount online (help them understand that a hungry child will be fed because of their thoughtful action)
• Fill one standard plastic water bottle with dimes and raise nearly $100 to connect a community to clean water; donate amount online
Then, to participate in the virtual Walk, “walk in community” even when apart.
Choose a way to be part of our community efforts to walk in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in need.
Some suggestions include:
• For four weeks prior to Walk Day, walk 3.4 miles each day in solidarity with women and young girls around the world who walk this distance, on average, every day to get water
• Pick ONE day to do the same (Walk day or a day of your choosing), by yourself or maybe with a small group
• Walk 3 or 4 days (or more) to make up 3.4 miles, knowing you are still making a difference for those women and young girls
• Plan a hike on a local trail where social distancing is possible – share about it on social media and in emails
• Invite one or more friend(s) to walk with you and ask them to donate an amount to help you reach your gift goal
• Be a spirit walker – pray/meditate each day leading up to Walk Day for those impacted by COVID-19 and all those who benefit from the CROP Hunger Walk – ask others to donate and support your “spirit walk”
• Go “live” on Facebook when you choose to Walk (this can be combined with a number of these others) to let your friends know you’re walking for our most vulnerable neighbors near and far!
• Reach out to your donors via social media as you walk, or walk quietly in solidarity with those in need near and far
• Make your participation FUN and meaningful!
• Take lots of pictures and videos and share them online!
What about on our official Walk Day, November 15?
• Walk at the set time as everyone else, route of your choosing, or
• Walk at your own time and place, or
• Choose a “spirit walk” by praying or meditating before or during this time
This is new to all of us, and we welcome suggestions about how to virtually bring everyone together while we help as many hungry people here locally and around the world as we possibly can. We are being called, more than ever, to step up and help vulnerable neighbors wherever they may be!! Our local agencies and CWS will need our support even more after this crisis is over.
Refer to our Burke/Fairfax web site
for more details, including Registration.
Let’s keep holding each other in the light. Stay healthy and inspired. It is more important now than it has ever been. Thanks in advance for your generous donations!
Together, we can help end hunger in our community and around the world.