Log In
Dr. Dave Turner Memorial / Kent CROP Hunger Walk Sunday, October 1

Walk.   Give.   Change the world.

Walkers have reported $11,285 in online and offline gifts!
Find more details here.

Join us on October 1st for the 25th annual Dr. Dave Turner Memorial Kent CROP Hunger Walk, sponsored by Church World Service (CWS) and hosted by Kent Lutheran Church! This year we have changed our name in memory Dr. Dave Turner, a long-time practicing physician, who with his wife Nancy started and coordinated the walk for the first 20 years.

With its inception in 1969, CROP Hunger Walks are viewed by many as the granddaddy of charity walks. The walk’s legacy is deeply entrenched even in our own community; since 1992, the Kent community has raised over $366,000 through 30+ local groups. We walk to protest resource injustices, to protect and provide for our vulnerable, to build sustainable community, and to show solidarity in a time of divisiveness.  We choose to walk so others don't have to!

The Kent CROP Hunger Walk is one of 1,000+ across the nation, symbolizing the walk many around the world must make for basic resources such as food, water, shelter and protection. In a world where there is enough food for all, we are moved to action by the fact that one out of every nine people goes to bed hungry each night. With our combined national efforts, we raise around $10 million annually towards the shared mission of ending this worldwide inequity. Money raised supports food programs in emergency response, as well as longer-term solutions like enhancing food security and providing sustainable safe water supplies. 75 percent of funds support the global development work of CWS.*  The remaining 25 percent stays in the community to bolster the local hunger-fighting efforts here. The 2017 local recipients are Kent Community Supper, HOME and the Kent Food Bank.

Looking for other ways to promote the walk and engage your youth? Check out these great walk resources online.

* Undesignated online donations will default to the walk’s parent organization, CWS. If you would like to designate specifically to a sister agency, be sure to specify under the “Alternate Agency” option that appears on the payment method screen.
 
Route Information
The Kent Walk is a 5½ mile walk through downtown Kent and along the Green River and Interurban trails, ending back at Kent Lutheran church.  There are short cuts along the route, two refreshment stops and a restroom available.

Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, sunscreen (or rain wear) and carry water.  No bikes, roller blades, skates or skateboards, but strollers and wagons are allowed.  Dogs are welcome on short leashes.  Come back inside at the end of the walk for snacks.

Teams and Walkers

Select a Team:

CROP Hunger Walks are community-wide events sponsored by Church World Service and organized by religious groups, businesses, schools and others to raise funds to end hunger in the U.S. and around the world.
Location:
Kent Lutheran Church
336 2nd Ave S.
Kent, WA 98032
(click here for map & directions)

Registration: 12:30 p.m.
Walk:  1:00 p.m.

Distance:
5 1/2 miles with shorter routes available

Contact:
Pam Cunningham
pam.cunn@gmail.com